Do you want to know the truth?
Find out whether you are biological cousins
- Painless buccal (mouth) swab sample collection
- Final report available in 1 business day
- All tests are run 2x for absolute accuracy
- Quickly collect samples in the privacy of your own home
- 24/7 online test status check
- Discreet online results option available
- No age limit. Can be performed on individuals of any age, including newborns and adults
This DNA Cousin Test (Private Home Kit) is an ideal way to determine the likelihood that individuals are first cousins, when the parent(s) in question are not available for testing. The mouth swab can be collected quickly and discreetly in the privacy of your own home and sent to our laboratory for analysis.
Need a legal test?
Legal testing requires you to attend an appointment for sample collection. If you need a legal test, purchase this kit and follow the enclosed instructions to pay the difference and switch to legal testing.
[tab title=”Technical Info”]
If the alleged parent(s) in question is/are available for testing, we highly recommend the DNA Paternity Test or DNA Maternity Test over the DNA Cousin Test. If the parents of the alleged cousins are available, the DNA Sibling Test would be recommended over the DNA Cousin Test since the sibling test (although not as powerful as a parentage test) is more powerful than a cousin test. The DNA Cousin test should only be considered if absolutely no other test type can be taken as it is the least powerful of all of the available kinship tests. While the parentage tests will always provide absolutely conclusive results, the cousin test will only provide a likelihood that the individuals are first cousins versus not related at all.
- All tests are automatically run twice to ensure 100% accuracy
- Conducted using a premium 16 to 27 genetic marker system
- State-of-the-art accredited testing laboratory utilizing advanced robotics and analyzers
- 100% private and confidential
- Check the progress of your DNA Cousin Test online
Methods of the DNA Cousin Test
During a DNA Cousin Test, a buccal (mouth) swab sample is collected from each alleged cousin. The sample contains cells, and most of the cells in our body contain a full set of genetic information in the form of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid). A person’s DNA represents a “genetic blueprint” and, like a fingerprint, it is unique to each individual.
At the laboratory, the DNA is extracted from the cell and specific regions of the DNA are amplified by a process known as PCR (polymerase chain reaction). The DNA patterns of the cousins are compared, to determine the likelihood of a biological relationship.
Splitting the kit
If the individuals to be tested live in different cities, or even different countries, the DNA collection kit can be split and each component sent to a different address. The components are individually barcoded and the buccal samples will be tested together, even if sent back separately.
[tab title=”How it Works”]
Four Easy Steps
Step 1: Order text kit online
Step 2: Collect DNA sample using a simple and painless mouth swab
Step 3: Mail samples to the lab in the provided return envelope
Step 4: Receive your results online